Monday, December 1, 2008

Going well!

Things in the running sphere are going well! I haven't posted in awhile, but there have been improvements and continued struggles in the meantime. I started having some trouble breathing when I run a few weeks ago, right after a bad bout of sinus funk/allergy flare-up. It culminated in having what I considered pretty gosh-darn-close to an asthma attack on a Saturday morning run. My doctor put me on Singulair and gave me a rescue inhaler to use before running. I have been on that regimen for 2-3 weeks now, and it goes back and forth.-- sometime it's okay, sometimes not. I had another bad breathing bout the Sunday before last, and went back to the doctor, who advised using a peak flow meter to determine how I am doing. I know that my anxiety definitely colors my feelings about the breathing issues, so I will be staying with the same regimen and using the peak flow meter. I do have a prescription for a daily inhaler if I continue to have problems, though.

I have been able to go up to a 4:2 ratio for some runs, but it's still a little hard. I tried 4:1 on one of the days I had a lot of trouble breathing, and I think it was just too much. I added in a day on the elliptical 2 weeks ago, and having been shooting for an hour session. I figure it lets me build my endurance and work a little harder without so much stress on my joints-- and the sports medicine guy suggested it for the same reasons, so it *must* be true! :) Also, I get a nice boost in mileage-- I am slowing inching up to doing 5 miles in an hour (4.82 on Saturday), and my ego certainly likes that.

I started Boot Camp at the Y this morning, and I am interested to see how that goes-- it runs from Dec. 1st to Dec. 20th. I am going 5:30am on Monday, 6pm on Wednesday, and 8:30am on Saturday. It was a shorter session today, because of body fat measuring and a treadmill test, but I think it's going to be a good kick in the pants. There was a lot of jumping, which is harder than I expected. My adult mind says, "Danger! Unstable! Fall Imminent!" I am hoping I will be able to run on the off days, if I am not too sore.

No comments: